Skip Navigation Links
Home Page
Journal Entries for 2007-12 RV El Camino del Diablo
GENERAL SUMMARY: We were really looking forward to our first Roamer Expedition to El Camino del Diablo. We had to send in forms and request permits to travel the Camino del Diablo trail from Wellton to Ajo in southern Arizona. This was trail was 140 rough, barren miles through the Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range, the Cabeza Prieta Wildlife Refuge and the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. It took four days, camping three nights. The weather forecast was 40% chance of rain on Friday, 20% chance on Saturday, less on Sunday. It was 40% chance of rain every day in Ajo, our final destination. So we expected to run into some rain sometime during our trip--and we did!!

This expedition was absolutely AWESOME!! There were so many different aspects to this trip. We got to meet and mingle with other Roamer owners who've had their Roamers longer than we have and learn about their innovative storage and technical ideas. We (especially Carl) got to talk to Bill and Scott about all kinds of technical stuff. They answered every question with impressive technical expertise. We learned a lot more about the capabilities of the F-550 in sand, mud, hills, rocks, etc. Then we also got to see the great scenery of this wilderness area and camp out under the stars far from civilization!!!! At times we were over 50 miles from cities and at other times, just yards from the International border.

Let me start with the people in our group. Scott (from Expeditions West) was our leader, in his Toyota Tacoma pickup and Bill (EarthRoamer creator) who drove the new Jeep Roamer. Then there were three other Roamers--two couples (John & Tammy, Carl2 & Elizabeth) and then Dave & his brother-in-law, Lon. John & Tammy have Roamer #4, bought in 2004 with over 50,000 miles. They are the longest Roamer owners, since Roamer #1, #2 and #3 have been resold and replaced with new Roamers. Carl2 & Elizabeth have Roamer #38, bought in 2006 shortly before we got ours. I'm not sure how many miles they have on it, but Elizabeth has been across country twice with her mother who is in a wheelchair. They have a wheelchair assist for the back steps in the camper and also a washer & spinner for doing laundry on the road. Then there were the two of us, with Roamer #47, bought in Dec 2006, with 12,000 miles and one cross country trip. Dave and Lon were in Roamer #55, bought in 2007. He had the new optional wine rack which was really impressive.

We only went 20 miles the first day. We started about 2 or 2:30, so that was great. We had time to visit before it got dark and we each went our own way to get dinner. The second day we did about 20 miles again. Then the 3rd and 4th days, we went about 60 and 50 miles. Carl and I felt that we didn't go any faster (like 5-15 mph) on those rough roads than we would have if we'd been by ourselves. The 3rd night we got to camp just before dark, but we never got too tired at Scott's pace. It was perfect!!! Our only complaint was that the trip could have been longer!!! We hated for it to end!!! We got to visit with the other Roamers a little in the mornings, a little in the evenings and we had plenty of pit stops and side trips. We stopped several times for points of interest or just to take awesome pictures!!! The journals will cover the side trips and points of interest in more detail.

This was a really great expedition overall. All the Roamers performed well. Nobody broke or got stuck!!! We hope everyone else had as much fun as we did!!!! We can't wait for the next expedition!!!

015b-Map of El Camino del Diablo.jpg
Home Page